Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A Good Friend


Last Sunday I went with some of my congregation to see the new movie "Bridge to Terabithia." It was quite an enjoyable movie. The 2 main actors (Jessie-Josh Hutcherson and Leslie-Anna Sophia Robb) do a wonderful job, and the animation is quite fun. I would highly recommend this movie to you to go see.
As I was reflecting on the movie afterward, I was taken by the friendship that the 2 kids developed. Both had difficulty making friends, and seemed to struggle with being outcasts. Because of this they both were picked on by their classmates.
Shortly into the movie Leslie moves in next door to Jesse. They immediately become friends, and begin to adventure around their houses. They discover a rope that is hanging on a tree, and decide to swing on it. On one of the swings Leslie lands on the other side. Jesse doesn't see her at first and so he hustles over to find her. Thus starts the beginning of their real adventures.
But even more than the adventure in the movie is the friendship that they develop. As I said before, neither of them had any friends until they met each other. As they spend more time together, they begin to enjoy the support and fun that they other brings to their life. For the first time in their lives, they have a true friend; someone they can be real with.
This is true of our lives as well. We need at least one true friend. If you have a friend like this, you know what I am talking about. To have someone you can be real with, and who can support and encourage you is invaluable. In fact, it is one of the prime ways that God created us; to be in relationship and fellowship with others. The beauty of the church is that we can worship together.
Another important aspect is that Jesus is not only our Lord and Savior, but He is our friend. As we are told in John 15:15- "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you." Do you need a friend? Pray to God to bring you that special friend. But also remember that Jesus is there to be your friend.
What do you think about the need for special friends and about Jesus being our friend? Let me know at pastorchrislogan@yahoo.com.

No comments: